Thursday, January 14, 2010

Depending on God

After a run in with sin this morning, I must keep reminding myself that in these times where I feel ashamed and unworthy, I need to run toward God in surrender and dependence, and not hide in the shadows as Adam did.

Today's passage was the prodigal son!

(un)fortunately, I've heard countless sermons on this parable, and I know it well. But because of that, I don't usually find the hidden treasures that may lie within.

But I'm reminded of the fact that when the son decides to return to the father, there is hint that the son may not even have been sorry, that he was reciting an apology in order to find food and protection. Of course, he may have been genuinely sorry, and the passage just doesn't reflect that. In ANY case, it is the FATHER who pours down love upon the son. Whether the son was sincere or insincere, the father was gracious and overflowing with love for his son.

God has such a scandalous love for us. How could we ever deny that love?

No comments: